Tuesday, January 15, 2008

So, I was just wondering. How many miles should you put on a pair of running shoes before you should buy some more? I was thinking that with all of the training coming up, I might need some new shoes. I enjoy my New Balance, but wonder if anyone else has had some amazing shoes that I should try.
On a different note. I have days were I dread running. I dread getting my body moving. I always force myself to run and then I really feel good. Am I alone out there with this problem? What is the best solution?

1 comment:

wasatch runner said...

Typically a shoe will cushion and stabilize for 300 to 500 miles; depending on the shoe, your weight, the surface you run on, and your running style, among other things. We recommend retiring old shoes before they have a chance to cause an injury.
We also recommend rotating between two good pairs of shoes. Put 150 to 200 miles on a pair and then start rotating with a new pair. Choose the newer pair for longer, more demanding workouts, and the older pair for easier workouts. Retire the old pair at about 400 miles and get a new pair to rotate in. Rotating shoes like this will go a long way to help prevent injuries. Running in old shoes can result in problems that could keep you off the roads and trails unnecessarily.

Running is hard? Everyone, at times, has a hard time getting out for a run. make sure you are taking recovery days so you can come back with renewed strength and enthusiasm. If you are really tired, then take a rest and do someting else to get your heartrate up.